9:30 pm
I was about to take a nap when suddenly, dad's words began to reverberate in my mind. He was again compaining about the Finance Department of our publishing business - that they allowed their check to bounce on my dad's account. My dad told me that he's don't trust our Finance Manager - that I should see to it that every centavo is accounted for...
His words reminded me of a time when the business was really in big trouble and everyday he curses everyone at the accounting department. It was a hellish experience I tell you, imagine, you're tasks to look after a department, which fusses dad everyday. I know, I'm a paranoid big boy, but I do know how to trust people. As much as possible, I don't allow them to feel down because once they got demoralize, everything starts to fall apart.
Which dad unfortunately doesn't really understand.
I asked our driver to drop me at the printing press. I really need to talk to the production manager, which is my dad's sister. I told her that I am getting worried how dad acted lately hitting on our managers. I think he's messing up things, when in fact they still do their job well.
Half jokingly, I told her that it seems like my decision to go full time looking after our business is a bad omen. This past few weeks since I passed my resignation letter at the advertising agency, trouble started brewing in our family business. On the other hand, the Ad Agency has a new client - a P20M tri-media deal from some obscure company.
Good for them.
I spent the whole night in a very tense situation, personally seeing the production and delivery phase of the business is going. Our production has dropped from 60,000 copies daily from 40,000 in just one year. I know, we're loosing ground but the Finance Manager said that it saves us a lot of money. Actually, we posted a P100,000 something profit last February or March, however we used it to pay for our outstanding debts.
Pramis, sakit ng ulo itong pinasok ko. I should be happy earning 1000 - 5000 from the agency, but I've always been reminded of our family business. I've realized that I can't fully turn my attention on somebody elses business as long as I have my own here, right in front of me.
I don't know what omens to believe. Was my resignation an omen, that I should be looking after what's left of our business now before it becomes too late? Was this trouble brewing is a sign of more bad lucks to come? Or is this a restarter's challenge since the beginner's luck has been given two years ago?
While the delivery van zooms along Roxas Boulevard to deliver the rest of the papers for today's news, a sense of nostalgia came to me...
Two years ago, we were so powerful and influencial, that people really clamored to buy our newspaper. Now, with only a partial of that power and influence left, I am tasked to fix everything as time runs out - for me, my dad... my mom. While looking at some gloomy scenarios I begin to wonder, how those young entrepreneurs do it? Is it because of luck? Do they listen and understand the omens that surround them? Do they practice feng shui like most successful businessmen do?
The owner of Temple Bar, Basement, and Jackloft's is a 24-year old Tsinoy lad. While reading his profile at Philstar this morning, a sense of awe and wonder struck me. I would like to meet someone like him, I would like to talk to someone who shares the same sentiments as I do feel everytime I am in this situation.
Y'know, It's hard to be in this shoes when, a P2M worth of business is on top of you, and a 10 M debt is below you. Imagine yourself positioning at a 10 feet high platform attempting to balance everything with a stick on your nose. Treading through a thin rope, you have to do your best not to fall or else, everything will fall down with you. That's what I feel today. Two days before my last day in the advertising agency... Two days before I surrender my short-lived freedom to be what I wanted to be.
Two days, I will become again the prince, groomed to be the next heir to the throne of a tattered empire.
And the omens are seemed to be against me...
Or I maybe, I wasn't reading it the "right" way.
It's already 5 am in the morning. I haven't slept yet and the pressure is killing me again.
I was about to take a nap when suddenly, dad's words began to reverberate in my mind. He was again compaining about the Finance Department of our publishing business - that they allowed their check to bounce on my dad's account. My dad told me that he's don't trust our Finance Manager - that I should see to it that every centavo is accounted for...
His words reminded me of a time when the business was really in big trouble and everyday he curses everyone at the accounting department. It was a hellish experience I tell you, imagine, you're tasks to look after a department, which fusses dad everyday. I know, I'm a paranoid big boy, but I do know how to trust people. As much as possible, I don't allow them to feel down because once they got demoralize, everything starts to fall apart.
Which dad unfortunately doesn't really understand.
I asked our driver to drop me at the printing press. I really need to talk to the production manager, which is my dad's sister. I told her that I am getting worried how dad acted lately hitting on our managers. I think he's messing up things, when in fact they still do their job well.
Half jokingly, I told her that it seems like my decision to go full time looking after our business is a bad omen. This past few weeks since I passed my resignation letter at the advertising agency, trouble started brewing in our family business. On the other hand, the Ad Agency has a new client - a P20M tri-media deal from some obscure company.
Good for them.
I spent the whole night in a very tense situation, personally seeing the production and delivery phase of the business is going. Our production has dropped from 60,000 copies daily from 40,000 in just one year. I know, we're loosing ground but the Finance Manager said that it saves us a lot of money. Actually, we posted a P100,000 something profit last February or March, however we used it to pay for our outstanding debts.
Pramis, sakit ng ulo itong pinasok ko. I should be happy earning 1000 - 5000 from the agency, but I've always been reminded of our family business. I've realized that I can't fully turn my attention on somebody elses business as long as I have my own here, right in front of me.
I don't know what omens to believe. Was my resignation an omen, that I should be looking after what's left of our business now before it becomes too late? Was this trouble brewing is a sign of more bad lucks to come? Or is this a restarter's challenge since the beginner's luck has been given two years ago?
While the delivery van zooms along Roxas Boulevard to deliver the rest of the papers for today's news, a sense of nostalgia came to me...
Two years ago, we were so powerful and influencial, that people really clamored to buy our newspaper. Now, with only a partial of that power and influence left, I am tasked to fix everything as time runs out - for me, my dad... my mom. While looking at some gloomy scenarios I begin to wonder, how those young entrepreneurs do it? Is it because of luck? Do they listen and understand the omens that surround them? Do they practice feng shui like most successful businessmen do?
The owner of Temple Bar, Basement, and Jackloft's is a 24-year old Tsinoy lad. While reading his profile at Philstar this morning, a sense of awe and wonder struck me. I would like to meet someone like him, I would like to talk to someone who shares the same sentiments as I do feel everytime I am in this situation.
Y'know, It's hard to be in this shoes when, a P2M worth of business is on top of you, and a 10 M debt is below you. Imagine yourself positioning at a 10 feet high platform attempting to balance everything with a stick on your nose. Treading through a thin rope, you have to do your best not to fall or else, everything will fall down with you. That's what I feel today. Two days before my last day in the advertising agency... Two days before I surrender my short-lived freedom to be what I wanted to be.
Two days, I will become again the prince, groomed to be the next heir to the throne of a tattered empire.
And the omens are seemed to be against me...
Or I maybe, I wasn't reading it the "right" way.
It's already 5 am in the morning. I haven't slept yet and the pressure is killing me again.
No comments:
Post a Comment