Thursday, April 15, 2004

Ending Song

It was the second week of November when I went to their office to present my credentials for the first time.

If I could remember it well, I got there around 3 in the afternoon. Sir Ted told me the rules, the basics and then he asked me to translate an english article to filipino.

It was my first day, in a company outside our family business. Everything was new then, and my objective is to create my own identity far beyond dad's looming shadows.

Today

I came to office at around 2 pm. It's my last day at Infinite Ideas and my reason for going there is to recieve my salary... and formally say my goodbyes.

People are quite busy doing their chores. The trainees have taken over most of my job. It is as if I'm no longer there. My presence is like a fading memory, a last flicker of light of a candle.

3 pm.

While I was checking my ATM account, my dad's business is on red alert. Authorities are confiscating our newspaper, claiming that we're smut tabloid and that, we show nude pictures of women in the front page

Which, we completely abandoned ages ago.

A news editor was being trained to be the managing editor. Two reporters were tasked to retrieve the boys who were apprehended by the police, and things are getting hot around the office.

Well, another omen... I'm not considering it as a bad one since some of those I percieved as bad omens turned to good ones... This omen, as I would interpret it, is a sign that this job would be 3x difficult than what I've experienced in the ad agency.

It's not as worse as what I've seen a long time before, but still, these troubles give me the trauma.

Back to the ad agency, I approached the bosses to formally say my goodbyes. The chairman, who seemed not aware that I resigned thanked me for my contributions in the company. Ms. Icel, the account director told me that I will always be welcome to come back to the agency, if ever I want to. And Sir O, solemmly thanked me for doing my job well while I was still working for them.

These people profited so much from me... from my, relatively low billing statements, to the free perks I've offered them, to the quality of my works, to the humility I showed them. I think I gave my best, and if I am a product, maybe, people would buy me.

Though, I admit, that I profited from them too... I've learned so much from the experience, and these experience are what guides me now. I think, I have regained my own image apart from my dad, and somehow, despite the fluctuating confidence... I still manage to get my acts together whenever I need to be serious, or firm.

My dad's sister and the finance manager told me that in just 6 months, I've matured from being a problem-runner to being a front runner. I don't know if this is true, but we could test that someday.

Before I left the office, I made sure that I would have a heart to heart talk with my mentor, Sir Ted. For six months, he was my superior officer. But our relationship went beyond the professional - he became my mentor, my spiritual adviser, and sometimes even my kikay friend. Yes folks, he's gay, but celibate and has a family.

Told him, "kung wala ka dito... wala akong matututunan. Pinaramdam mo sakin pano maging isang bahagi ng pamilya, higit sa PR, tinuruan mo ako kung paano makisama, paano makibagay sa mga ka-opisina."

After that, I said my goodbyes to my officemates. while going down the steps, Sir Ted gave me a cheque - a gift cheque from HBC.

Looking back, I was their PR man. For six months, HBC was my prime client. Para sa lahat ng naisulat at naipublish kong articles para sa kanila, my token was a gift cheque worth 500 pesos. Ang sweet naman, souvenir ko na ito.

Between day one and day ninety, sandali lang pala ang lahat. Nung una, natatakot at nagdududa pa ako magsimula, ngayon natapos na rin ang lahat.

No comments: