Monday, May 30, 2005

And All That Remained Was Emptiness (Last Part)

Sunday.

My lola celebrated her birthday in my aunt's house. It was a huge family gathering where all my relatives are present.

I love these gatherings because mom and her sisters find a time to bond. Besides, food was really overflowing. In fact, I should really make it a point to club this week to burn all the unecessary fats that I have accumulated during yesterday's event.

Late in the afternoon, the teens decided to watch a movie at SM Bicutan. Of course, they were inviting me to join them but I declined.

Mom won't have any company, that's why I have to remain. I spent the entire afternoon reading Noli Me Tangere to refresh myself with that novel. Besides, I was also trying to find a link that can prove that Ibarra and Elias were secretly in love with each other, and not with Maria Clara and Salome.

---

Ever since high school, I appreciated Noli more than its sequel El Filibusterismo. One reason was our teacher in Filipino was a terror. She often surprised us with a quiz before we discussed a chapter of the book. Besides, I find the chapters in Noli lighter and comical than El Fili. Here, Jose Rizal was more focused on details and the different lives of the main characters.

Eventually, I got bored from reading the said novel after piecing up the stories of individual characters from the book. Then phanks missed-called me, which I should have to return call after I recieved it.

He was cranky the whole day. And in moments like those, I know that I'm the only one who could cheer him up.

Ever since he got that scholarship in Benilde, he found the adjustments quite monumental. In fact, I am also adjusting myself since I couldn't wait for him until 9 pm. My energies won't allow me to. Before, I was planning to join Roy in his gym training but I am still short of funds and waiting for whatever career I would be taking.

So the gym have to wait.

---

Anyway, phanks needed some assurances again. After all, it is my primary duty to prop him up whenever he gets upset over things. My bud is a great whiner and his pastimes include complaining about a lot of things. Good thing though, I have already adjusted myself to his habits. In fact, I find it extremely abnormal when a week would pass by and he wouldn't complain about anything.

That is my lovelife. At least, I know that I'm needed.

After ending our conversation, I've realized that I can't leave him in that situation. We have gone this far, and we have encountered even more difficult challenges than his admission to Benilde and how it would change our relationship.

But if you ask me, I would rather break up with him than become a distraction to his plans. I think it is the greatest sacrifice I could offer in order for him to reach his dreams and plans in life.

Sabagay... isa lang naman akong hamak na buddy. Anytime, pwede kaming mawala.

---

That night, my computer was reformatted by my high school friend. We got the chance to update ourselves about our lives and classmates.

He said, a long time ago - all of us were just equals. But after we've graduated in college, things became different. Not only did some of us become successful in their respective careers, they even exceeded the expectations bested in them while we were in high school.

Perhaps, I should have taken a Computer or an IT course back in college. Tech-savvy naman kasi ako eh. Probably, if I chose that path before, I might have been raking a 6-digit salary today. I might have achieved my dreams earlier.

Yun nga lang, I might not have been a writer if I steered my life into that direction. There might not be a Pulsar or a PLU-Imogen today.

---

I lied on my bed that night thinking again of my future; or should I say, what career I would take up that would make me financially sound and intellectually rich. You see, I really don't know what I want at this time. If you ask me, I just wanted a job that is 8 hours a day - two day vacation, a tolerable pay, and a job that would stir up my creativity and quench my thirst to see new things.

Seriously, I am having second thoughts about my upcoming Call Center Career and no matter how I try to feel how the job would look like when I'm already there, I always ended up asking myself... am I for the money or really for the customer service?

But who knows. I haven't been in the floor yet of an inbound call center. Who am I to judge?

---

Fast forward.

I woke up this morning with a text message on my phone. It was my trainer and she informed me that they have already endorsed our application back to Convergys. She said that Convergys would call us for a telephone interview, which would serve as our validation.

I waited the whole afternoon for their call.

Later this afternoon, mom and I went to SSS to ask for some questions about my dad's death benefits. Afterwhich, we then proceeded at SM Manila to buy a pair of shoes for mom.

The shopping left me exhausted and sleepy.

We arrived home half past seven. I went to my room, opened my PC. Browsed PEx then started to write the first few sentences of this entry.

While in the background, Jem's song - Flying High was blaring on my speakers.

The chorus goes something like this:

"But I'm flying so high
high off the ground
when you're around
And I can feel your high
rocking me inside
it's too much to hide"

As I listened to the song, I thought of the people who are very close to my heart; the routines that I will soon impose upon myself; and the freedom that I'll be getting the moment I get a job.

And then, without a trace, I wasn't feeling empty anymore.

It's like a new chapter of my life is dawning.

No comments: