Sunday, May 29, 2005

And All That Remained Was Emptiness (Part One)

I woke up last Saturday feeling empty.

The training was over. I have passed it and soon, my application would be endorsed back to Convergys. However, my first thought after I woke up was about my co-trainees. The thought of you as a group going your own separate ways, never to see each other again is quite saddening. After the mock exam, we were even planning to have a drinking session as a fitting ending for our 5-day training.

But I ended up puffing a Malboro Lights beside Robinson's Galleria across Poveda with the Amboys.

After we finisihed a pack, we said our goodbyes... hoping, that we would see each other in the product training.

But I know, it would be our last time to see each other.

---

Mister Cutie and I had also a good ending.

Thursday, I asked him if it's ok if I could hitch a ride in his car since he's going to Fairview and I'd be dropping off at Cubao to visit a friend. He said it's fine with him, so I had the chance to bond with him ( and one of our co-trainees) while inside the car.

Friday, we found out that only one person would interview us. I am the first one to be interviewed and he was the fourth. After I passed the training, I told him all the things he should do to get the attention of our interviewer who I sensed gay. I told him that while the interviewer asked him questions, he should look straight in the eye of the person and smile as he answers the questions to show that you are confident with what you are saying.

He smiled at me as if to demonstrate what I was saying and then he blinked one of his eyes to emphasize a point. Those smiles and blinking really melted me. Until now, if ever I wanted to picture Mister Cutie in my mind, I would still remember that moment when I found him very charming with those actions.

When it was his time to be interviewed, I bid him "break a leg" for good luck. I think, his interview was one of the longest in our batch and when he emerged from the interview room, he was smiling.

Like me, he also passed the exam. We're both eligible for endorsement back to Convergys.

---

Since I made it a point to return to XP's place after our exam, I decided to join him in the bus so that he would have some company on his way home. Again, I asked more questions about him - his life, his friends, his pastimes. I found out that he was once a member of a university's basketball team and his passion is playing basketball. I also found out that most of his friends have already left for another country and he wasn't a nocturnal person by nature.

I wanted to probe into his sexual activities, his perversions and secrets... but I instead showed him formality since he seemed to be more formal and conservative about his views about those things. At least, he would see me in the same respectable light.

I got off the bus in P. Tuazon. He was the last person I talked to and said my goodbyes to among my co-trainees. If our training was extended for another week, probably we would have ended up as the best of friends there. I think I was the only one who knew him more than anyone else in the batch.

Saturday came and I checked out his profile in friendster... There, I found his profile. His hair was still long when they took the picture, and a girl was intimately close to his face - his girlfriend.

Mister Cutie truly is a straight. I think his friendster account should end all speculations about his alleged "alternative" sexual preferrence.

---

After the training, I immediately headed back to XP's place to report my achievements to him.

I admit, without XP's training, I could not have done it. I might not have the "confidence" I had while the interviewer asked me difficult questions. The 2-hour english conversation the night before the mock interview really did pay off. Not only did I discover that I can compensate my poor accent with sheer confidence, XP also pointed out to me some of my weaknesses that I wouldn't have noticed when I am practicing on my own.

Thank you bud.

---

XP lives with Sonny also a brODDER, who also applied at Convergy's the week before my pre-test in the training center. They also share the apartment with two other guys who works in a call center.

All of them are non-straight.

Since Sonny's bud would also drop by the apartment that night, XP invited me to stay for dinner and enjoy Sonny's cuisine while I have the opportunity.

That night, XP and I headed to a nearby supermarket to buy the ingredients he would need for the Sinigang na Baboy that Sonny decided to cook for our dinner.

While Sonny was preparing the ingredients, XP and I watched " A Touch of Pink," a gay heartwarming movie that we borrowed outside the supermarket.

Nathan arrived two hours later and then we ate our dinner and watched Bubble Gang until bud called it a night.

And yeah, a taste of Sonny's cuisine is like having a piece of heaven in your tummy. I swear, he should really sign up as a chef.

---

The whole bonding thing at XP's place reminded me of a time when James, Sealdi and I shared an apartment in Project 6 not too long ago.

Back then, James was our master chef. His mastery comes from his Kapampangan roots. Since he was working as an English Tutor for Koreans, everytime we would eat our dinner there would always be a Korean Spicy Noodles included in the table.

Back then, we bonded while watching Bubble Gang on the television; James drinks his vodka and Sealdi puffs his Gundam Garam, while I had my Phillip Morris with me.

The couch was infested with pesky higads that came from a nearby tree. James' half completed puzzle was laid on the far side of the sala.

We tried to live a bohemian lifestyle back then. My sex life, though active outside the apartment, was restrained in our nest for sanctity's sake and for respect to my two housemates.

Still, when I wanted to remember of a time when I was extremely free to do everything that I wanted, I would always remember our days...

And last friday, at XP's apartment, everything seemed like a Deja-vu to me. Somehow, it made me missed those days when we had the night for ourselves.

No comments: