Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Just Like You Fuck Back (Getting Back At Someone Who Ditched You Before)

"The interview was scheduled roughly two weeks from now. If I would be endorsed by the other call center for a one week training without pay, perhaps by that time, I would have completed it already. Perhaps if they would take me for training, I am already two weeks into my work in that Outbound Call Center in Ortigas.

Sad to say, I don't know where to stand... or what stand I would take. I wish I can make that sacrifice of waiting for WEST. But E-Pacific Global knows too well how to make their potential agents work for them.

I fell in love with West, and right now my thoughts are with that company.

I just hope they... would eventually feel the same."


Just Like You Fall In Love,
Blog Entry, July 13, 2004


---

Dear Diary,


It's been almost a year since I last wrote this entry about my admission of love for West Contact. Yeah, it was the company I really put my heart into when I was applying in a call center job before.

And you know why I put so much of my heart on them? It because they gave me hope... it was one of those rare occassions where I would daydream working with them while I was in training at E-Pacific Global. Its because I thought it was all worth it. I thought they were really interested in me.

The hardest thing to accept - until now is, they fucked me up right at the final interview. They failed me for some reasons I still can't understand. And you know what, after that painful interview, all those call centers I applied for afterwards had a great time turning me down...

It was one of the lowest point of my life.

---

But it was a year ago and things have changed very differently.

Two jobs and a more stable financial platform later, I found an add in PEx saying that West Contact is hiring people who would work for their Yahoo Account.

Being the very sneaky person that I am, I decided to submit my resume in hopes that maybe, when I get fucked up here at work, I would just tell my boss that I quit... then I'll be off to a new company, hoping that I can patch things up with what they have done to me before.

How ironic that I only learned to confidently engage a conversation in English, here, in a job that doesn't demand one to speak that language - only in written one. And it became my useful tool in selling myself there.

I easily passed the computer exams and then the preliminary interview.

At first I thought I was a goner again. But I really believed that I have the credentials they are looking for.

Besides, I knew they were looking for someone who has the mastery of the language, the skill to read, proofread and edit articles - which is my best cards in applying there since I took up Journalism back in College.
It would be just a matter of time before they call me back a week after my first interview.

--

And in two weeks they called me.

I think Mami Athena heard our conversation since she was in the same room where I was at that time.

I was asked if I could do a night interview, which was quite a hassle for me but its okay. After all, the thought of being accepted into the second stage just thrilled me to death.

Despite my busy schedule that day (Thanks to my ever loving sister), I made it to West. The person who interviewed me was the Operations Manager.

One remark that did bothered me a lot was when she commented about my past work habits. I have to admit, that ever since, I never stayed in a job for more than 6 months. Its either I got bored or.. I something epical came up that I needed to life change there and then.

But resigning at Infinite Ideas Ad Agency was a different story... I resigned really not because I was asked to return to my dad's company, but because I felt that all the people I cared about in that company are also leaving.

I just can't bear the thought that I have to stay in a company with new strangers to work with.

---

Anyways, the interview went smoothly. I gave the Operations Manager a hard time by asking questions about the work we will have to do since I want to project an image that I was extremely interested in the job.

And it seems like they are still groping to the nature of our work.

But you know what, I am really interested in the job - the mere fact that I could surf Wikipedia.Org just excites me. And despite everything, I was really willing to jump ship to join them.

For a week. I seeked people's opinion about the decision I will make. My mom - even though she was very hesistant.. no.. against the thought that I would shift careers again for the Nth time finally gave me a go signal execute what I like.

Her loving sister, who acts like our matriarch these days also gave me a blessing to move on.

Even my bud was very supportive to my idea. Roy, on the other hand was overjoyed to the fact that we would be gym-mates since he works out near the place.

God, this is the dream that I've been waiting for. Finally I will get to work at Makati Business District!!!


One week was a long wait... and despite the positive responses from people around me. I never consulted it to the persons that are... well, very very close to my heart right now.

My colleagues.

Especially Mami Athena.

---

You see, I am very very happy working with my colleagues. I don't know if they feel the same way towards me. But you know what, seeing us working together and laughing during our shift makes our job a little bit less stressful.

Despite the fact that we have to do the same routine over and over again.

If there's any good reason for me to leave this place... it's because of one person only. I won't delve into details. But I feel that he's using his position to bully me. But its alright, I believe that
I have the support of my team.

Besides, my boss is caring and good enough to keep me well under his enlightenment.

Anyway, I recieved a call from West two days ago.

They were asking me if I could report to the office that day to sign up my contract with them.
Although I am sure that its easy to leave here and make excuses for my actions, I contemplated my would be decision for one last time - I asked Mami Athena's advice.

She said, its okay. I should find my own calling.

I know she's right. But I felt something different with the way I recieved her words... something warm, soothing yet invisible pinched my heart that moment and made me decide that once and for all,

I wont leave this company, especially now that I found my heart here.

--

You see, I've realized at that moment that money, position, power and ambition is not really important if you are working with people who very much inspires you.

Who makes you feel at home.

What's the use of having to earn a lot of money if you don't have friends in that company and the threat of being bullied by everyone is always imminent.

After a few minutes of contemplating, I said to Mami that I think my heart has spoken.

And she very much agreed with my reasons to stay.

At the same time, I asked my boss for some clarifications about my job, which he clarified immediately.

Though I never told him that somebody wants to "pirate" me, I made it sure that in between the words I said, there lies my message that conveys a need for assurance - - that I would be secured with this job.

After all, I have sacrificed Convergys and West Contact for this one.

Also that day, I signed my formal contract with the company I am working with right now. Finally, I am all theirs.

I also made a pact with Mami Athena that I won't leave as long as they would remain.

In fact, now that I'm writing this down... I think I could stay here for the rest of my forever, if they are the one's who would be my colleagues for life.

Maybe next time, I would write an entry about the people I'm working with. I will write about their quirks, their personalities, how people sees my company as a small carnival and what this company have that I never saw in E-Pacific or in SENCOR.

Now that its finally over, this episode allowed me to achieve three things: Prove my loyalty to the company, made me realize how important my colleagues are to me. And finally, I have got back at West by turning them down right at the very day they offered me the contract.
Fuck the two interviewers who Fucked me before!
I just have vindicated myself.

I just hope that I played my cards well. I'm not really sure if someone from the office would ever get to read my blog. But if ever someone finds it...

Yeah... dude, ateh, mother, father, sir... I gave up another future to be with you.

No comments: