Monday, August 8, 2005

Dreams Of Being A Gym Bunny (Again)

And so when I felt that my tummy is really bulging and my mobility has been compromised. I decided to take a stroll in Recto yesterday in hopes of finding a gym that would put me back to my former shape.

I took an LRT that would take me to Avenida. My first stop was the Arranque to check the animals being sold there. As usual, there were small colorful birds in big cages, semi-askal looking dogs that smelled horrendously and were kept in small cages. And fowls of different shapes and sizes. I think I even saw a live turkey being sold in one of the stalls. There was also rabbits, monkeys, squirrels, and someone even asked me if I'm interested to check out their snake that is for sale.

My business there actually was to look if there were cats for sale. Fortunately there was, but all of them are mostly with breeds. Truth is, I've been thinking a lot of adopting a puss.. er.. kitty once again, but when I remembered how terrible it is to have a food snatcher on the table all the time, it gave me second thoughts of having a cat again.

I went to this stall to pretend that I am interested in buying a cat. But when they told me that it costs around two thousand bucks for a kitten, Ive realized that I should be adopting a cat at PAWS instead, if ever I decide to have one.

The truth is, seeing those poor animals in small cages and in relatively poor conditions make my heart melt. Especially when you see those cats getting your attention by rubbing their heads in their cages like when they do when they purr. But you know, those cats are really high maintenance and P2,500 is really a big money.

I won't dare to spend that kind of amount, especially if I'm not sure whether I will be buying something that I really need or not.

Although, I didnt bought a pet with me. The sight of the house plants being sold in the other side of the market didn't spared my attention. In the end, I bought my first house plant in a year for thirty pesos.

---

It was a long, nostalgic walk from Arranque Market going to the University belt. Passing by the renovated Avenida walkway reminded me of all the painful memories I had with my stay in dad's companies.

The truth is, I haven't really recovered yet. You know, it's hard to forget something that you tried to fight for but you failed. Besides, those companies almost tore my life and family apart.
That part of Recto reminds me of my recent past, a bittersweet past that I don't want to remember right now.

When I crossed the bridge between Isetann and U-Belt, things start to get better. That part of Recto reminds me of my student days - those happy-go-lucky days where our classes were done in Malacanang, and teachers weren't pain in the ass.

In between breaks, I would sneak out to that part of U-Belt to check out the latest men's accessories, being sold in the street - the necklaces, wristbands, wallets, semi-metal rings etc. I can't remember the last time I had the luxury to check those things out. After all, my world now. Things that I used to fancy before doesn't appeal to me anymore.

The students are now literally, flooding the street. And with it are still the ubiquitous wares such as pirated cds and kikay stuffs for guys that are being sold in the bangketa . During my time, I used to buy those kikay stuffs in order to mask my insecurities. I used to put several rings in my fingers, only to realize later in my life that I looked stupid.

Well, I guess Bernz was right. The more we grow older, the more... in some ways, we refine ourselves. Of course, although, I already got passed that stage where I would really take seriously what my fake bling blings looked like, the temptation to check out the hottest men's accessories didn't spared me yesterday. Together with the rest of the boys, I checked out the most interesting and attractive tribal/metal necklaces they have in their makeshift shelves.

---

Manila Cinema City (aka Ever Gotesco Manila) used to be my hang-out place, aside from University Mall beside DLSU. It is where I used to buy my latest pirated PC Game or Audio CDs, when I haven't discovered the jewels found in UM.

I remembered that I found my love for trance and club sounds there. It is also the place where I first attempted to chat when I was at the dawn of my homosexuality.

There were a lot of things Gotesco reminded of me. But yesterday, after it was renovated for almost a year.

Suddenly, that past of mine was not there anymore.

When I went inside the mall, things were very different. Gone are the B-Class boutiques that used to fill the place. Instead, the flashy ones took over. I tried to look for the shop that used to supply me with games, but unfortunately, it is not there anymore.

In fact there were no more computer shops inside, perhaps that was the price to pay, a compromise in order for Ever Gotesco to achieve a grand makeover.

---

Anyways, I left the building minutes after I went it... And continued walking towards my intended business target.

After crossing Lepanto, I finally found the place. Nestled between San Sebastian and the only Christian church in that street, the gym was remarkably small when you see it outside.
But inside it was remarkable.

I was far more better than the gym where I used to workout.

The lady who entertains potential members was kind enough to tell me the basics. The membership fee was rather expensive if you ask me but thats the price to pay for something that might make you feel good... and yes.. save your life.

Anyway. After a short business talk, and after I toured the place and met the instructor for the first time, I felt a sort of connection that might get me really interested to sign up for their services.

At first, I told the lady that I would return today to finalize my signing. But after a short walk again along Recto going to Mediola, I've realized what my aunt said the last time we went to my Grandmom's place.

Why should I postpone something important for tomorrow, when I can do it today?

Going to the gym and trimming myself is important. In fact, I think its one of the most important thing that I should do right now.

However, at the back of my mind, the only thing that hesitates me from doing so is could I commit myself to it? Do I have enough motivation for me to change my way of life?

Well, I think I dont have answer for that yet...

But one thing is for sure. This time, I would attempt it again.

Yesterday afternoon, after a short walk towards the nearest Banco De Oro Bank. I returned to the gym. I told the lady that I am interested to sign up for membership.

My training will start on Wednesday.

No comments: