Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Sweet Sweet Payday

Who would ever thought that the end product of all those ramblings, and near-submission of a resignation letter would actually bear one of the sweetest fruit I had this year?



I swear, the job was back breaking and nerve wrecking. This is so far, the most intense performance I had in my career. Countless times did I complain here in my blog about my condition. In fact, it ended with that very personal posts on my reactions to my boss' inquiry about my early departure in the office.



I was really bitter during the last few weeks - enduring only with the thought that someday, this job would eventually burn me.



But after I recieved my paycheck this afternoon, things turned around in an instant. The things my mom used to say about why many people would rather work overtime than rest at home, began to have sense to me.



---



I was aware that my overtime work was well compensated - but never did I delve into the thought of earning more because of that. In fact, I saw overtimes as a violation of my freedom and right to do what I want after I served the 8 gruelling hours I have to do at the office.



Before, the elder members of our team used to say that they recieve double-digit salaries because of continous overtime. At first I just downplayed the idea since I am not in the mood to do overtime work, especially when I found out how repetitive it is.



But this afternoon, I found out the things they were saying before were all right. Overtime really pays well, especially to those who patiently lets the time pass from sunrise to sundown, enduring severe cold thanks to the big aircons and lack of sleep due to R&R extension till midnight.



Upon signing my payslip... I didn't never bothered to look at my computation. The first thing I saw was my net pay which was... unbelieveable.



My God! I am 30% richer!



I think I'd be more excited to render overtime from now on.



---



With that I just remembered what Maam Pepin, our Faculty Secretary said during the hardest times of my appeal to be admitted in UST before. Her words became my battlecry everytime things turn against me and disappointments piles up, as if hope was almost gone after a long and bitter fight.



Now that I have savoured a victory. Indeed,





when there is no pain, there is no gain.

No comments: