Monday, November 29, 2004

November Rain

Indeed, late Novembers and chilly, rainy evenings don't mix. It should have been a very chilly starry-starry evening today but no thanks to the uninvited typhoon rampaging the Bicol Region, we have to endure a colder and lonelier nights this week. People should have been flaunting their christmas lights on the facade of their houses, but instead, the metropolis is less colorful tonight.



However this kind of setting make me feel nostalgic. It seems like the melancholy it brings allows me to tap those hidden memories of my youth - where such moments brings deep and longing loneliness, as I ride my way home in my school bus.



I could still remember, how such evening pour puts down the spirits of everyone in the neighborhood; friends and neighbors chooses to stay at home rather than spend a cool, soothing evening hanging outside their houses and make chismis about the hottest controversy in the alley. On the streets, you'd find people running after jeeps and buses overcrowded with more people who are in a hurry to home. We don't own a car before and whenever I see my mom trying to compete with "normal" people to find a ride.



It makes my heart sink into desperation...



---



Evening rains makes me wanna wish, that all my loves ones be close to me. During stormy nights, I'd wish that we would stay in one room as strong winds ram my side of the house producing as slight tremor as if the whole foundation of this home would be ripped apart

to be carried in another block.



It was this timely moment when I would think about my parents, who were still on their way home - when we were still complete. I'm not sure if its the thick looming clouds, or the near-zero visibility that makes me feel longing for everyone. Whenever rain pours down on the streets, every drop, every splat, and every gush of water reminds me how empty and fleeting the world is.



For some unexplainable reasons, the sound of droplets falling at the rooftops still leaves me slightly uncomfortable and trembling...



---



Tonight, the rains have returned again after a long happy hiatus. It should have been a night of revelry and astonishment for me after they decided to put up the Christmas tree. But no, I am

here locked in my room, spawning my own solitude.



Surrounded by a thick mist, freezing siberian winds and deafening tapping of raindrops. This evening, my mind heaves from the weight of its own nostalgia.

No comments: