It's an age old tradition that is nearly impossible to break.
I started my December by preparing my Christmas list for this year. As usual, the bigger my circle for the year, the more people are included in my list. I could not really remember when this activity all started, I just realized that I've been doing it every year, starting with my cousins, then including my aunts, my closest friends and now even the entire circle where I revolved in.
Though I do remember the first time I gave a gift to someone. It was to my mom. Tanda ko nun, my ninang gave me a hundred pesos after I spent an entire weekend in their place. Pagdating ko sa bahay, I immediately went to Mercury Drug, to buy a small stufftoy for my mom. And that was around, I think grade three.
In the years that followed, I kept on giving gifts to my mom every Christmas. Until during high school, I then started giving gifts too to my cousins - You know, those plastic toys you'd buy in a palengke or stores besides schools. And they appreciated it. In fact, winner nga ako pagdating sa bigayan eh.
However there were times when they compared my gifts to those from my richest cousin. I admit though, that he saved for it, and the gifts were really expensive for his age, which is 4 years younger than me then. However, I pursued my habit of giving gifts during Christmas until it culminated last year, when I gave gifts for more than 100 people. No stir yun! I really did and I bargained hard in Divisoria and Greenhills just to achieve that.
Kasi naman, I also acted as second in control in the family business, my dad thinks that giving gifts during Christmas is bullshit, so to show our appreciation for all their sacrifices and efforts for the company, I personally distributed the gifts to them during our last day of business operations. And I did emphasized that it came from me, my mom and my sister. Sorry na lang kay papa, hindi siya kasama samen.
---
So anyway, I assaulted Greenhills this afternoon.
As usual, the tiangges filled up every available space on the ground.
If there's such a term as a closet-shopaholic, I think I am one of those people who are like that. I love shopping and buying stuffs - just to give to people close to me such as pasalubong - or this time, gifts. But my shopping itch usually attacks periodically. Expect me that after the holiday season, balik na naman ako sa pagiging makunat ko. That's how I save my money - I don't spend much even for myself.
In fact, I avoided accompanying my mom in a store especially during the money-saving months because I can't help but give her moolah when she goes shopping - especially now that my world is centered around her. Whenever I see her fulfilled after buying a cartloads of home and kitchen appliances - only to keep and give during the holiday season, I feel a sense of pride and completeness in me.
At least, I could pay back just a little for all the efforts and sacrifices and the love she continues to give to me.
---
So back to Greenhills, I found myself bargaining again. Tangina, ang laki laki kong tao at nakikipag-baratan ako sa mga tindera dun. In fact, I think people who saw me bargaining felt awkward. Especially since I had two big shopping bags on my other hand as I sort out stalls from one end to the other. Ayaw kasi sumama ni Phanks eh, but it's ok though para wala akong iisipin sa shopping ko. Besides, he's not part of my budget, magrereklamo lang yun na nagugutom at inaantok na siya.
---
And I do enjoy doing my business alone.
---
So far, I am 65% complete - as long as I won't add more people in my list. My budget would cost me around 15 days worth of my entire combined salary but I'm trying to lower it down to a quarter, just in case.
Whenever I show to my mom the things that I've bought, she'd always tell me that I'm really good at choosing gifts for people. Minsan magugulat pa siya when I tell her that I've bought those for-conyo things at a very affordable price. However, when I complained about how expensive my budget is for the season, she'd asked me why I give gifts to people which are not really close to me.
And yeah I'd ask those things sometimes too... but I know the answers already. Gift-giving builds strong friendships and unbreakable connections. It's what rich people do to expand their networks, but as for me just plain goodwill would count.
and at the same time, the fulfillment is really... breathtaking, especially the thought that you bought those gifts in different and most fascinating of places. Bah! It's really so astig if you'd ask me.
Last year, my target was 100. Definitely it costed a lot of money. But at the end, I've realized that I didn't spend that much for those people. Unexplainable as it is, but I think I earned more afterwards...
Indeed, if giving would makes you a lot more richer
then I think my gift-giving tradition made me a rich kid throughout these years.
The Techno Revolution, Unnoticed
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment