The news of the approaching storm left me panic-stricken and restless. I’ve been so engrossed thinking about work, Phanks and internet this past few days, that I had completely forgotten a storm, which is about to arrive.
This evening, after confirming the news of its arrival, and the strength it possesses, I immediately checked in the internet it’s predicted trajectory. It will directly pass through several provinces north of Manila, the website said, it would probably hit Pangasinan, Cordillera and Ilocos.
Its trajectory brings the super typhoon close to home…
very close to the loved ones which is the reason of my worries right now.
---
The last time a storm with such strength hit Manila, was when I was in high school. If I could remember it right, it was Rosing and it hit Bulacan directly that morning. However, due to the comical relief our neighbors showed as they frantically tried to patch their rooftops as the winds furiously blows on every corner, the ordeal was a little bit bearable. In fact, it was more of a sightseeing galore, watching the neighborhood prepare too late, for the storm which was already there.
The second time a strong storm threatened Manila was when I was in college. It passed at dawn and the winds were really pounding my side of the house. What makes everything more dreadful is the deep howl of the wind, the sounds you would hear in the movies as the ground shakes a little since its very foundations bear the brunt of such pounding..
I’m not so sure but from what I’ve heard from the movie Twister, it was called the Cone Of Silence. Probably the reason why I dreaded hearing those wind howls is that it reminds me of how grave the situation is - the long, deep billowing sound of the wind announcing the coming of the delubyo overhead will surely make every normal human person fall down on his knees (not literal of course.)
But what worries me more is that this time, I will be the only man in the house.
Every bit of responsibility, from ensuring that my mother dearest and my little sister would not bear the brunt of this storm, to Phanks’ own welfare and protection in their home rests in my hands. In fact, I told him to prepare too, since we don’t know how much damage this catastrophe would bring.
There are a lot of scenarios playing in my mind right now. I know it happened before; I felt this dread long before. I’ve slept through a night of endless pounding on my window as the sky swells from the bloody red clouds hanging overhead. We are a survivor already.
With a little transistor radio close to me, as the grand masterpiece of heaven converge on top of our heads, may we survive another close call,
And let those who will fall, find peace and freedom in the heavens and beyond..
This evening, after confirming the news of its arrival, and the strength it possesses, I immediately checked in the internet it’s predicted trajectory. It will directly pass through several provinces north of Manila, the website said, it would probably hit Pangasinan, Cordillera and Ilocos.
Its trajectory brings the super typhoon close to home…
very close to the loved ones which is the reason of my worries right now.
---
The last time a storm with such strength hit Manila, was when I was in high school. If I could remember it right, it was Rosing and it hit Bulacan directly that morning. However, due to the comical relief our neighbors showed as they frantically tried to patch their rooftops as the winds furiously blows on every corner, the ordeal was a little bit bearable. In fact, it was more of a sightseeing galore, watching the neighborhood prepare too late, for the storm which was already there.
The second time a strong storm threatened Manila was when I was in college. It passed at dawn and the winds were really pounding my side of the house. What makes everything more dreadful is the deep howl of the wind, the sounds you would hear in the movies as the ground shakes a little since its very foundations bear the brunt of such pounding..
I’m not so sure but from what I’ve heard from the movie Twister, it was called the Cone Of Silence. Probably the reason why I dreaded hearing those wind howls is that it reminds me of how grave the situation is - the long, deep billowing sound of the wind announcing the coming of the delubyo overhead will surely make every normal human person fall down on his knees (not literal of course.)
But what worries me more is that this time, I will be the only man in the house.
Every bit of responsibility, from ensuring that my mother dearest and my little sister would not bear the brunt of this storm, to Phanks’ own welfare and protection in their home rests in my hands. In fact, I told him to prepare too, since we don’t know how much damage this catastrophe would bring.
There are a lot of scenarios playing in my mind right now. I know it happened before; I felt this dread long before. I’ve slept through a night of endless pounding on my window as the sky swells from the bloody red clouds hanging overhead. We are a survivor already.
With a little transistor radio close to me, as the grand masterpiece of heaven converge on top of our heads, may we survive another close call,
And let those who will fall, find peace and freedom in the heavens and beyond..
No comments:
Post a Comment