Friday, December 24, 2004

All For the Spirit

There was a time in our lives when this day means everything to us.



Not so long ago, I used to think that December is the best month of the year - Christmas caroling, Christmas tree, Christmas lights long vacations - everything seems so surreal and colorful and magical that there were nights when I would just lie under our Christmas tree and stare at the blinking Christmas lights that seemed like twinkling stars in a child's imagination.



Then, as weeks pass, the empty tree is suddenly filled with gifts. Before, the thing that I would like to recieve during Christmas is toys - whatever toys, as long as I can use it for my role-playing, and never ending epic-story, "Supermario vs the Gorgon Empire" or the "Ultraman Saga"



Haay, those were the days.



15 would come with so much fanfare and celebration. Lately na lang ako nag-stop magcelebrate ng bertdi. After that, by December 20 or 21, I'd insist on going to my aunt's home earlier to have a bonding session with my cousins. It is where we spend Christmas as one-big family. We'd usually spend the days playing sega, particularly Sonic the Hedgehog or Super Mario World in S-Nes.



Of course, Christmas means a lot of money for me - As my relative in the US would send... tons of money for us kids. Hopefully this year, I would still be eligible for those moolah, since I need to restock my bank reserves. Nyemas, my whole salary for the 15th plus the 13th month was all used up to buy gifts for everyone.



But it's ok though, seeing them surprised and amazed as they open my gifts is worth all the efforts and sacrifices in finding those presents.



And it's my 23rd Christmas on earth.



As we pack our things and prepare the gifts for tonight's celebration, I've realized that things aren't so magical as I used to believe. In fact, I failed to attend a Simbang Gabi this year since my work starts at 6 am, and I sleep at midnight. Everything may not be as sweet as it used to be, but I sincerely wish that all my loved ones and closest friends and acquaintances would celebrate their own christmas, closest to the people they cherish most.



After all, beyond the gift-giving and the noche buena, and all the parties that come with this season, the true spirit of Christmas is being with people you value most; of celebrating it the closest way it happened a millenium and 4 years ago.



Tonight, we celebrate our liberation, for the Creator has sent his Son to redeem us all.



MALIGAYANG PASKO SA INYONG LAHAT!!!

No comments: