Friday, June 25, 2004

Just Like That

It took me a year to adjust being a president of an entire batch of college students. And part of the adjustment is gaining respect of everyone who is under you.

For the first three months, they saw me as the underdog, their servant to their every whims. One classmate even commented that, why do I have to be apologetic everytime I do a mistake. I tell you, it was hard, and there were times I even contemplating of resigning because of some intrigues I was just caught off.

The school year ended, and somehow, I got a favorable response from them. My strategy was simple, befriend their barkada leaders and the entire group will befriend you. Show them humility and concern and they will look up to you as one of their own.

In fact for a time, our class seemed like a small federation. The major decision factors lie on the barkada heads themselves. I was there to validate their decision and present it to the authorities concerned. Politics played a significant role here but I showed them more of my personal and human side, that's why they responded that way.

You see, I never expected that I'll be a leader in my entire life. I was so used to being the follower, or just the assistant of the leader, but not really the leader. I'm not good in decision making, and I don't have the confidence leaders must have, but they voted for me and for my part, I don't want their expectations to fail.

Fourth year, a small group lead by the most progressive and most distant of my classmates nominated my classmates who ran for student council president. I know, my hopes of being a two time president is being challenge, but since I treat these guys more of a family than just mere classmates, I let go... and guess what, I got an overwhelming majority, it proves that leadership sometimes is more of humility and compassion than strength of character and personality.

For my last year as president, I took on the responsibility more than everyone could ever imagine. It's like looking after my brothers and sisters making sure they are safe and away from harm. I was the first one to warn them of an impeding failure in their subjects, and I was the one who usually lead and represent them to our teachers and instructors, often mediating academic issues and sorts.

Yet, I was never fully respected that much like most leaders do. I still remained the underdog - the "servant leader" our former ABSC President claimed to be. But together with the Society President and her officers, we were a perfect team, and we made great strides not only in our academics but in the entire Faculty itself. Until now, we were proud of who we are, and my classmates remains one of the best in their careers today.

---

Whenever I looked back at that time, I still see myself as an inefficient and lousy leader. However, my achievements were most noted on interpersonal skills and compassion towards others. It didn't matter to me if I get the respect I need, as long people would work for the entire whole, then I think I'm still effective after all.

Conrado De Quiros was right about what he said on his columm some months ago.

"If you want to be the leader...

Inspire."

And I think dad doesn't know this basic tenet of being a leader.

No comments: