It was a meet-up of epic proportions.
I met Gerumatori during the great shift at PEx several months ago. We belonged to the liberal group - the same loose alliance where I met Naught and Tiburcio before.
From watching the back of each other at the forums, my friendship with Gerumatori expanded towards sending private messages. Soon, we were exchanging Friendster accounts and then finally, our strong friendship achieved maturity when we started chatting directly at YM and exchanging phone numbers.
From then forth, it was just a matter of time before we would finally meet up. Since he lives in Laguna, and his youth prevents him from experiencing the things that I grew up in Malate, he would have just knew those things from conversations and storytelling.
Probably it would take several years more before he could finally experience those things, however, events changed when suddenly, an opportunity came yesterday for him to take a moment’s glimpse of a life most of us are living during our gay days.
He turned 17 yesterday, and instead of spending his birthday with other people closer to him, he chose to spend it with me.
--
Prior to our meet-up, I spend the whole morning cursing the heavens for messing up my itineraries. At the same time, I kept on internalizing my role as Gerumatori’s sort of “Big Brother.” I knew that it was a huge responsibility, but at the same time, the thought of being someone’s guardian remains breathtaking.
Good thing though, I have managed to convince Roy and Naught to tag along. In fact, during my text conversations with my two good friends, I was telling Roy to act as our yaya, while Naught would become our PSG. But really, the thought of them being there with us is very relieving.
Still, the weather is quite uncooperative, and the thoughts of having to endure a rainy Friday night, just like during Stormeekid’s time sends me the chills. However, the rains have spared us the whole afternoon before Gerumatori’s arrival but the heavy clouds can be seen converging in the horizon.
He arrived just in time before the rains started to fall.
Truth is, I find him quite distant and withdrawn at first and it made me feel so very uncomfortable. The trauma brought about my disastrous meet up/date with Boy Astig was still fresh to me and all the time, I was basing his reactions on what I did when I finally get to meet that long-time chatmate of mine.
I met Gerumatori during the great shift at PEx several months ago. We belonged to the liberal group - the same loose alliance where I met Naught and Tiburcio before.
From watching the back of each other at the forums, my friendship with Gerumatori expanded towards sending private messages. Soon, we were exchanging Friendster accounts and then finally, our strong friendship achieved maturity when we started chatting directly at YM and exchanging phone numbers.
From then forth, it was just a matter of time before we would finally meet up. Since he lives in Laguna, and his youth prevents him from experiencing the things that I grew up in Malate, he would have just knew those things from conversations and storytelling.
Probably it would take several years more before he could finally experience those things, however, events changed when suddenly, an opportunity came yesterday for him to take a moment’s glimpse of a life most of us are living during our gay days.
He turned 17 yesterday, and instead of spending his birthday with other people closer to him, he chose to spend it with me.
--
Prior to our meet-up, I spend the whole morning cursing the heavens for messing up my itineraries. At the same time, I kept on internalizing my role as Gerumatori’s sort of “Big Brother.” I knew that it was a huge responsibility, but at the same time, the thought of being someone’s guardian remains breathtaking.
Good thing though, I have managed to convince Roy and Naught to tag along. In fact, during my text conversations with my two good friends, I was telling Roy to act as our yaya, while Naught would become our PSG. But really, the thought of them being there with us is very relieving.
Still, the weather is quite uncooperative, and the thoughts of having to endure a rainy Friday night, just like during Stormeekid’s time sends me the chills. However, the rains have spared us the whole afternoon before Gerumatori’s arrival but the heavy clouds can be seen converging in the horizon.
He arrived just in time before the rains started to fall.
Truth is, I find him quite distant and withdrawn at first and it made me feel so very uncomfortable. The trauma brought about my disastrous meet up/date with Boy Astig was still fresh to me and all the time, I was basing his reactions on what I did when I finally get to meet that long-time chatmate of mine.
What made matters more uncomfortable was the fact that when Gerumatori talked to me, he wasn’t looking in my eye. It was exactly what I did to Boy Astig to show that I am not really interested at him and I don’t really know if Gerumatori feels the same.
Yet I kept on talking to him, in hopes that our conversation would pick up later that afternoon.
After I paid my mobile phone bill, I decided to take him for a stroll along Ayala since he hasn’t been there when suddenly, the rains began to pour.
Fortunately, we were not yet far from Glorietta so we temporarily took shelter at Ayala 6750. By now, it was raining extremely hard and our only choice was to talk talk and talk or else, we’ll gonna be bored.
As the rains pounded relentlessly and the winds turned tables and chairs beside Starbucks, our conversation started to peak up. We began to talk about the things we haven’t touched during our regular chats in YM, as well as talks about our lives. The weather improved a little bit and it allowed us to cross the street.
Finally we went back to Glorietta confidently comfortable with one another.
--
We spent a couple of hours more strolling at Glorietta while we waited for Roy to arrive.
Since we were more comfortable this time, I have begun to open up topics I wouldn’t have the guts to bring up hours before.
Although I have mostly forgotten the things we’ve talked about, one thing is sure though: My fears of having another Boy Astig scenario has completely ceased. My fear of loosing things to say did not materialize at all.
And so Roy arrived and I introduced him to Gerumatori.
Then we walked towards Greenbelt to have our dinner at KFC’s while waiting for Naught to follow.
Since I was the host, my plan was to treat him for dinner, and perhaps to other places we would go last night.
However, Gerumatori insisted that he would feel very uncomfortable if I gave him a treat on his birthday. So, I decided to scrap my plans altogether and let him get what he wants.
Shortly after finishing our meal, Naught arrived seemingly in a good mood. He told us that his interview with a Singaporean-based company was a success. And the prospects of working abroad are getting closer and closer. We then chatted a little about his plans after he gets hired by that company, while at the same time doing boy watching at the restaurant.
While doing those things, I kept on looking at the celebrant in hopes that I would uncover his thoughts at that moment. He was smiling yeah, but his silence worried me. I thought he felt uncomfortable being surrounded by three adults, but when he started answering to Roy and Naught’s questions, I began to feel relieved.
We then planned to transfer to Malate and enjoy a quiet, relaxing time at District Bar. However, the heavy rains and the difficulty of finding a taxi prevented us from going there early, so again we chilled out and let the time passed while they sipped their coffees at McCafe Greenbelt.
After an hour or so; after they have finished drinking their coffee, we went out to check if the downpour was still intolerable. And it still was, however, a taxi dropped off a passenger near where we stood so we gathered up all our strengths and ran towards the taxi.
The next thing we knew, we were already in front of District’s and Naught was already paying for our taxi bill.
-2bcontinued-
Yet I kept on talking to him, in hopes that our conversation would pick up later that afternoon.
After I paid my mobile phone bill, I decided to take him for a stroll along Ayala since he hasn’t been there when suddenly, the rains began to pour.
Fortunately, we were not yet far from Glorietta so we temporarily took shelter at Ayala 6750. By now, it was raining extremely hard and our only choice was to talk talk and talk or else, we’ll gonna be bored.
As the rains pounded relentlessly and the winds turned tables and chairs beside Starbucks, our conversation started to peak up. We began to talk about the things we haven’t touched during our regular chats in YM, as well as talks about our lives. The weather improved a little bit and it allowed us to cross the street.
Finally we went back to Glorietta confidently comfortable with one another.
--
We spent a couple of hours more strolling at Glorietta while we waited for Roy to arrive.
Since we were more comfortable this time, I have begun to open up topics I wouldn’t have the guts to bring up hours before.
Although I have mostly forgotten the things we’ve talked about, one thing is sure though: My fears of having another Boy Astig scenario has completely ceased. My fear of loosing things to say did not materialize at all.
And so Roy arrived and I introduced him to Gerumatori.
Then we walked towards Greenbelt to have our dinner at KFC’s while waiting for Naught to follow.
Since I was the host, my plan was to treat him for dinner, and perhaps to other places we would go last night.
However, Gerumatori insisted that he would feel very uncomfortable if I gave him a treat on his birthday. So, I decided to scrap my plans altogether and let him get what he wants.
Shortly after finishing our meal, Naught arrived seemingly in a good mood. He told us that his interview with a Singaporean-based company was a success. And the prospects of working abroad are getting closer and closer. We then chatted a little about his plans after he gets hired by that company, while at the same time doing boy watching at the restaurant.
While doing those things, I kept on looking at the celebrant in hopes that I would uncover his thoughts at that moment. He was smiling yeah, but his silence worried me. I thought he felt uncomfortable being surrounded by three adults, but when he started answering to Roy and Naught’s questions, I began to feel relieved.
We then planned to transfer to Malate and enjoy a quiet, relaxing time at District Bar. However, the heavy rains and the difficulty of finding a taxi prevented us from going there early, so again we chilled out and let the time passed while they sipped their coffees at McCafe Greenbelt.
After an hour or so; after they have finished drinking their coffee, we went out to check if the downpour was still intolerable. And it still was, however, a taxi dropped off a passenger near where we stood so we gathered up all our strengths and ran towards the taxi.
The next thing we knew, we were already in front of District’s and Naught was already paying for our taxi bill.
-2bcontinued-
No comments:
Post a Comment