Thursday, August 25, 2005

Once Upon A Time, There Was A Tomorrow (Part Two)

"We were juniors in College. It was the month of love and while she was still involved with her boyfriend during that time, my life revolved around my tropa – the PGC. During that day, her group had a sort of video shoot for one of our subjects. Evening came and she was supposed to be picked by her boyfriend since she was not feeling well then. When her boyfriend didn’t show up, our tropa-leader volunteered to accompany her going home. However, when he found out that she lives in Fairview, he asked me a favor if I could accompany her instead since I am relatively nearer to her place (I live in Manila) and she had a lot of heavy audio equipment to bring home.

Being the class president, I felt responsible for her so agreed to take my tropa-leader’s place. We were already friends during those days, but not as close as my friendship with IceRose.

And so, I accompanied her home. While on our way, we talked about a lot of things – things I don’t know about her and things she don’t know about me. When we arrived, her mom was extremely relieved to see her safe and secured, while she was very thankful for my assistance.

That night, I arrived home around midnight…

For me, I felt that I was doing a part of my duty as the class leader. But never did I think that it would be the beginning of something that would eventually lead into my first committed relationship with someone else."


--

We met at McDonalds at around 10:30 this morning.

She was all blooming and radiant when I saw her today after I last saw her during the funeral. I even teased her that it seems like she used too much pearl cream that her face turned all white.

But the truth is, she is more beautiful and sexy now, unlike when we were still a couple. And in her aura, I felt that she had become more mature and refined as the years passed by.

--

We boarded her van and she introduced me to her driver.

“Just like in the old days,” I thought. “She never gotten used to going around in a public transpo.”

Anyway, while inside her van, she showed me the themes for her photos. She told me that since I used to produce good subjects for our Photojournalism class during college, she asked me if I could suggest to her the subjects that she would use for the themes she had to do.

I told her that since she had already something in mind, we should better stick to her plan instead than to think of subjects that might be too difficult to shoot or too far-fetched for her themes.

So we went to her original plan. We proceeded to Intramuros to take pictures of Kalesa and their Kucheros..

--

"Weeks after I accompanied her home, things became more warm and cordial between us. I don’t know how it all started but I began to call her at night. We began to talk about shallow things at first… until we got to know each other better. The calls became more and more frequently and the hours of conversation became longer and longer. We never realized it but we were already becoming secret phone-pals. There were times we would both arrive late during our first subject the following morning and we would just look at each other and smile. For the rest of the second semester, that was our happy tripping. That summer, she broke up with her boyfriend and since I was already there, adjustments became much easier for her… after all, she was under my full cover.

It was also that summer when I first asked her to watch a movie. You see, during those days, I would innocently ask a close girl -friend to hang out with me. In my terms today, it would be considered a date - - but during those days, it was an innocent and friendly hang-out. We watched several movies… most of them I’ve already forgotten. Things were relatively routine and friendly and uncomplicated until one of us reached the threshold of friendship.

It was she who first showed signs of something deeper…"


--

At Intramuros, I asked her to pretend that we were both students and we would need to take photos for our “class project.” You see, it was our best excuse back in college when we needed to take pictures of subjects we needed. You wouldn’t believe that it’s more difficult to tell them that you’re a photography class student or journalism student than to simply tell them that you’re a student and you needed something for a project. And you know what, it never failed us.

The Kalesa drives warmly accepted our permission so we began to take pictures – she using her digicam, while I used the manual camera. From time to time, I watched her back… just like I always do to a person I am with. And the more I get involved with her that moment, the more it reminded me of our past.

After we have finished taking photos of the Kalesas and their Kutcheros, she asked me if we could visit Fort Santiago in hopes that we could find interesting subjects inside.

While we were paying for the ticket, I teased her by saying that we’re not in a field-trip as she laughed and slap my back with her hands. We went to the gunnery, the baluartes and dungeons just to see what the place has to offer. As she took her photos, I told her that the place looks much better during the afternoon.

Lately I’ve realized that I was implying that sunsets make the place more romantic…

Before we left Fort Santiago, we sat on a bench to tell her what happened to me and my dad. I told her what happened to our family and how our lives are still related since we both have the same broken background even back in college.

Our senti conversation was cut after a group of Korean kids, passed in front of us. Since my ex-girlfriend love kids, she started taking photos of them while they formed a line in front.

After taking photos of the Korean kids, we went to Manila Cathedral in hopes of finding more subjects for her themes. There again, we met a bunch of street kids who happily striked a pose for our cameras. Since this ex-girlfriend of mine has this soft spot for children. She asked me afterwards if we could find a store where we could buy food for them.

We bought a pack of bread which the kids shared for themselves. I told her that a former classmate of ours works near the place which further sparked her interests. While I rang our friend’s phone ex-girlfriend asked me if it’s okay if I don’t mention that she’s with me, so I said its fine. Our friend then answered the phone:

“Polly, I will be visiting you in your office. I’ll text you when I get there ok?”

Our friend said it’s alright for me to visit. Ex-girlfriend then went inside Manila Cathedral to offer some prayers as I waited for her outside the church.

Worried that things might get messed up when the two finally meets.

I sent Polly a following SMS message.

“Hindi niya alam ha.”

-tobecontinued-




No comments: