Saturday, October 23, 2004

Whispers From A Sleeping World

It was past 1:30 when we decided to go home after spending most of the night in Papu's place. So far, since most of the ODDERs had their own priorities tonight, this was one of the smallest contingent I've been to, during post-omeng's time.

Cash strapped and fearful to withdraw at a bank, I decided to take a jeep. Belt tightening taught me to lessen my expenses so as a result, taking a cab had become less of my priorities.

It is a sunday morning. A lot of people are still on their way home after spending the night unwinding. It was cold outside reminding everyone that the holidays are just around the corner. Lights have already started flickering, from christmas lights in some of the house at the horizon, when the economy is at its lowest, some escapes the reality with displaying things that would remind us of that time of the year, we want to forget everything.

Since I started working, this was the first time I arrived home very late. As a co-breadwinner in the family, I couldn't afford to risk my safety anymore unlike before when I would sneak out of the house just to "play with fire" with someone who needed a playmate. Now, those were just an echo of my wilder past. It still calls from time to time, but I try to hold on to something that would keep me from committing an earthly mistake.

So far, I'm holding on to my word.

---

It seems like the streets are filled with young, whammy men tonight.

I often thought that those who go out and hang out at this ungodly hour are mostly trippers or gays in need of some fun. With what I saw on my way home, I think I am right with my assumption. Those whammies actually made me horny.

Thank God I planted myself in a sturdy moral ground or else, I would have unleashed the worst of "darkstar" in just one whisper of the wind. I was already experimenting with the idea before. However, the quest of finding a serious mate prevented me of totally focusing my attention on just mere "playing."

The wind blows into my face, and as I look behind me, I've noticed two balut/snack vendors who are at the edge-seat of the jeep. I've noticed that they were just quietly sitting there as the drive breaks the darkness with his speedy wheels. When they informed the driver that they have reached their destination, they silently left, never paying a single peso for their fare unlike the rest of us.

Puzzled and confused, I've realized that in silence, they have understood each other.

With the rising cost of living here, and the greater difficulty of finding people who would buy their foodstuffs, it seems like the driver and the vendor understood that they share the same plight - like millions of Pinoys who desperately etches a living with a mere hundred bucks.

In silence they share the same thought, the same wavelength. Like those I've noticed when an FX driver would ask a jeepney driver for a smaller change for his big bill.

Indeed, humans are capable to feel... who shares the same burdens as with them. In silence, they have understood that they were mere underdogs in a sleeping world

full of things bigger than them.

No comments: