Monday, February 7, 2005

Something to be Proud Of

After I've read the article, my first thought was we should overthrow the government.



Indeed, the first gay marriage that happened between 2 NPA soldiers has put us again in the LBGT spotlight. ILGA, which is the International LBGT organization has cited the country as one of the most gay-friendly nations on the planet, despite the general perception that religion and lifestyle tend to conflict.



For years we have struggled to become the mainstream, and for a time, I was there when the chatgroups have organized themselves in order to have a unified voice.



---



I hope that the gay marriage among the reds would inspire our government to pass laws that would give more rights to people like me. I can't help but to be proud of their achievements - to the point of giving more respect to these people whom I percieved as magulo and bayolente.



Even phanks can't believe that it really did happened. At the back of his mind, his thoughts was

how can people who hold guns and kill people can become homosexuals.



Perhaps, its because of the prevailing culture. The reason why we cannot find our voice is that

our culture dictates that bading equates to parlorista, and parlorista equates to effeminacy.



---



Only few of us knows, that we have a great heritage to be proud of. Generals who have fought and won countless wars before Christ was born were gays. The elite soldiers in the Greek armies were gays, and is mandated to have a lover among his rank. The Muslims, who were considered to be homophobic were actually percieved by the Europeans before as "bisexuals."



Wikipedia taught me a lot about who we are, and why should we be very proud of what have become. I'm sure, perhaps in the next generation an out gay president will rule a country.



In this lifetime, the chance of me having a marriage of my own (gay of course) has become more of a possibility than it has been before.

No comments: