It is said that one is in grave danger a day before his birthday.
I've been paying attention to this saying ever since it was told to me, but never did I expect that life would pay back one way or another, just to get even, or for what purpose it offers.
Twenty three would be my most painful and bitter birthday ever. I would forever remember this day, when God and life betrayed me.
---
10 pm.
As I was making my finishing touches to the gifts I wrapped for Christmas, mom decided to go to the comfort room downstairs.
I have forwarned her though that the bathroom is slippery and it might be better for her to use the bathroom upstairs. But she insisted. She said, she has to go already.
I went to my room to re-check my newly written christmas list, as the last one was lost probably from my shopping. Based from my assumptions, my time is too short for me to complete my list.
Then out of a sudden, I heard my mom scream. Then my sister and everyone downstairs started screaming. I know something happened, but I wasn't prepared for the worst.
As I descend the steps of our stairs, my sister shouted "kuya maraming dugo" Then I saw my mom crying in the CR, her head bleeding flawlessly against the whiteness of her face.
I don't know my first words were, but I started hugging her tightly. I was forcing the towel in her head to stop the bleeding, but it never did.
For the first time in my life. I saw a huge pile blood scattered all over the floor. And it was from my mom, the most special person I have in this life.
Immediately, I told the driver the start the engine of our car, as my sister called my mom's sister who is a doctor. Everything happened so fast, I couldn't even find a time to think about the things that would come out of this accident.
On our way to the hospital, I could not help but sob all my frustrations. I just entrusted my loved ones to the creator Himself in exchage for my own safety. Whenever I'd look back and see my mom shocked by what had happened, I just thought that if He abandoned me tonight, where I would run to. What would I believe in afterwards.
I was still sobbing when she was rushed to the emergency room. The whole time she was conscious and ok. However the sight of her frail and traumatized made me asked a lot of questions about life. Who would have ever thought that things so bad may happened hours before the celebration of your creation.
We were never that bad, we don't bear any karma from anyone, but why on fucking Earth must these things happen to us.
After an hour lounging in the emergency room, in the full view of every kind of traumatised patients around us, the doctor said that my mom should be x-rayed for medical reasons. On the corridor, as she waited for her turn to be x-rayed she apologized to me for the things that had happened.
By this time, I was already crying as I summed up every bitterness I had this past year. Twenty wasn't that good to me. In fact, it catapulted me into a life I never have dreamed of... living.
I was looking for a way out, searching for a stick of cigarette just to flush the painful thoughts out. But no matter how I try, it just never leave. It lingers on, reminding myself that there will never be peace and security in this lifetime. That life perhaps taught me to forever be worrisome of the future.
My tita came, and with her arrival, things started to ease up a little. They performed a minor surgery to stitch up my mom's cut on her forhead. 11:55, the operation was complete. We were immediately discharged and my aunt shouldered all the medical bills.
The whole time, my dad wasn't there for us. Indeed, we are now alone.
By 12:15, we reached home. Immediately, I tried to flush out all the remaining bloodstains in the CR and in my mom's crutches. I told my department head that I might be absent today.
---
As I tried to weave the things that happened this evening. I felt a sense of emptiness emanating from my heart. Tears roll down my face, as the thought of my mom crying in the CR, blood covering her face and body, me clutching her tightly as we rushed her outside the house and towards the car. My birthday coming in just several hours.
Life was still kind to give my mom a little bit of respite as she was pronounce ok and stable. But its wound would forever be embedded in my thoughts - cursing the day I was born.
Perhaps I wouldn't celebrate birthdays next time. In fact I would love to despise my own
birthday.
I am now 23, and life reeked its first pulse of bad blood upon me.
I've been paying attention to this saying ever since it was told to me, but never did I expect that life would pay back one way or another, just to get even, or for what purpose it offers.
Twenty three would be my most painful and bitter birthday ever. I would forever remember this day, when God and life betrayed me.
---
10 pm.
As I was making my finishing touches to the gifts I wrapped for Christmas, mom decided to go to the comfort room downstairs.
I have forwarned her though that the bathroom is slippery and it might be better for her to use the bathroom upstairs. But she insisted. She said, she has to go already.
I went to my room to re-check my newly written christmas list, as the last one was lost probably from my shopping. Based from my assumptions, my time is too short for me to complete my list.
Then out of a sudden, I heard my mom scream. Then my sister and everyone downstairs started screaming. I know something happened, but I wasn't prepared for the worst.
As I descend the steps of our stairs, my sister shouted "kuya maraming dugo" Then I saw my mom crying in the CR, her head bleeding flawlessly against the whiteness of her face.
I don't know my first words were, but I started hugging her tightly. I was forcing the towel in her head to stop the bleeding, but it never did.
For the first time in my life. I saw a huge pile blood scattered all over the floor. And it was from my mom, the most special person I have in this life.
Immediately, I told the driver the start the engine of our car, as my sister called my mom's sister who is a doctor. Everything happened so fast, I couldn't even find a time to think about the things that would come out of this accident.
On our way to the hospital, I could not help but sob all my frustrations. I just entrusted my loved ones to the creator Himself in exchage for my own safety. Whenever I'd look back and see my mom shocked by what had happened, I just thought that if He abandoned me tonight, where I would run to. What would I believe in afterwards.
I was still sobbing when she was rushed to the emergency room. The whole time she was conscious and ok. However the sight of her frail and traumatized made me asked a lot of questions about life. Who would have ever thought that things so bad may happened hours before the celebration of your creation.
We were never that bad, we don't bear any karma from anyone, but why on fucking Earth must these things happen to us.
After an hour lounging in the emergency room, in the full view of every kind of traumatised patients around us, the doctor said that my mom should be x-rayed for medical reasons. On the corridor, as she waited for her turn to be x-rayed she apologized to me for the things that had happened.
By this time, I was already crying as I summed up every bitterness I had this past year. Twenty wasn't that good to me. In fact, it catapulted me into a life I never have dreamed of... living.
I was looking for a way out, searching for a stick of cigarette just to flush the painful thoughts out. But no matter how I try, it just never leave. It lingers on, reminding myself that there will never be peace and security in this lifetime. That life perhaps taught me to forever be worrisome of the future.
My tita came, and with her arrival, things started to ease up a little. They performed a minor surgery to stitch up my mom's cut on her forhead. 11:55, the operation was complete. We were immediately discharged and my aunt shouldered all the medical bills.
The whole time, my dad wasn't there for us. Indeed, we are now alone.
By 12:15, we reached home. Immediately, I tried to flush out all the remaining bloodstains in the CR and in my mom's crutches. I told my department head that I might be absent today.
---
As I tried to weave the things that happened this evening. I felt a sense of emptiness emanating from my heart. Tears roll down my face, as the thought of my mom crying in the CR, blood covering her face and body, me clutching her tightly as we rushed her outside the house and towards the car. My birthday coming in just several hours.
Life was still kind to give my mom a little bit of respite as she was pronounce ok and stable. But its wound would forever be embedded in my thoughts - cursing the day I was born.
Perhaps I wouldn't celebrate birthdays next time. In fact I would love to despise my own
birthday.
I am now 23, and life reeked its first pulse of bad blood upon me.
No comments:
Post a Comment