Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Just Like When You Fall In Love

Dear Diary,

Last week, I went to this place to send my resume and you know what, I immediately felt a sense of connection between me and the company. I took the exam while nursing an aching stomach. Imagine how uncomfortable it was! The place was chilly, quiet and people talk in accented english and the thoughts of farting... or magtae inside the lounge area is too much horrible to think.

Anyway, since the place is so appealing, I looked around whenever a sudden surge of discomfort knocks my tummy. They have this top-of-the-line supercomputers, those I see in Ambergris and Convergys, and their lounge area is sooo roomy unlike in most contact centers I applied before. It was a comforting yet alienating experience, but the truth is, it feels so corporate being there. At the end, I have to ask the proctor if I could go to the CR before I start the exam. She allowed me to leave fortunately, but looking for a CR is another thing.

Since their comfort rooms has a special kind of lock, I was worried that someone might barge in while I was making a "call of nature." So to assure myself of complete privacy, I checked out the CRs in the floor below. The guard on duty allowed me to use the floor, and the rest was history.

I passed the exam, fortunately and was endorsed to an initial interview a week later. Imagine my ingrateousness after I made a nasty mess in one of their toilet bowls. I was joking afterwards that I just went there "para tumae at magpasa ng resume" and nothing more.

---

The initial interview happened this morning. While waiting for my time to be interviewed, I met this weird but funky girl who sees ghosts and other earthly entities. We chatted while waiting to be called by the interviewer, since I am a clairvoiyant myself. Other interviewees were looking at us as she related her creepy bouts with demons.

As we talked about ghosts and wandering spirits, I can't help but remember my Daria-like classmate back in college. Wala lang, the creepy but funky girl reminded me of Hazel, my classmate and I never forgot to complement her that. I kept on smiling as she chatted with me - talk about nostalgia. I hope i could meet that classmate of mine soon and tell her that she's not "unique" in this planet.

---

Around 15 minutes after I arrived, a guy from the HR approached and called my name. It seems like he is the one who would interview me, and based on the accounts of other applicants who were previously interviewed, he was an absolute terror.

The interview began. He focused more on my academic background and previous work experience. He asked me questions such as "since you do have family business, why do you need to find work here?" and "why did you leave the advertising agency?"

Of course, his questions were quite challenging to answer. But when he asked me "what do I think about the company?" or "What do I know about the company?" researching before the interview helps big time.

However when the interviewer ask you about your plans and career vision, that's where the problem starts. My previous entries would tell that I'm in limbo right now.

In all honesty, that interview was one of the most challenging I've ever had aside from Ambergris Solutions. They asked me many questions, perhaps out of interest on my background, or because they would like to reject me outright. In my heart, I know I flunked the interview. I wasn't satisfied with my answers... but this time, I have some basic idea about the company. I researched about it just before I went home last night.

After the interviewer was done, he asked me afterwards if I have some questions. Perhaps, this was the turning point of my interview. Initially, I was hesitant to respond to his inquiries. At some point, I started having a conversation with him about the company's beginnings.

It seems like they have just started operations here in the country last February. From there on, I knew what topics I would open to catch his interest. Along the way, I gathered all my guts to explain my lousy answers during the interview proper. I told him why I think that I'm just beginning in my career, why I was interested in working with them and why I am fit for the job of being a CSR.

At some point, I bursed out these words: "I want to grow with you and hopefully you would give me a chance to prove my worth."

I don't know if I hit the point but outrightly he endorsed me for a final interview. Despite my scheduled final interview in another call center tonight, I already know where my heart is. I know where I would love to work and serve and I know where I'll find my contentment.

I just don't know if fate... or the universe itself would conspire to grant me this fervent desire to work with them.

---

The interview was scheduled roughly two weeks from now. If I would be endorsed by the other call center for a one-week training without pay, perhaps by that time I would be interviewed at West, I would have completed my training in the other call center. Perhaps if West would take me for training, I am already two weeks into my work in that Outbound Call Center in Ortigas.

Sad to say, I don't know where to stand... or what stand I would take. I wish I can make that sacrifice of waiting for West. But E-Pacific Global knows too well how to make their potential agents work for them.

Nevertheless I am already in love with West, and right now my thoughts are with them. I just hope they, in turn...

would eventually feel the same.

No comments: