Thursday, July 15, 2004

Professor Proxi

Since mom has to attend her meetings with this NGO group, she asked me to become her substitute in several of her classes.

Again, I will become a pseudo-prof - giving quizzes to those happy college kids in PUP. I don't really know how mom manages her class, but it seems like her students know a lot about us.

From what I've heard from my former highschool classmates that became my mom's students, My sister and I becomes her ultimate models when giving examples on her discussions. I don't know but the students are always in a shock whenever I introduce myself as their professor's son.

"Ah ikaw pala yun."

One student said a while ago.

"Yup ako nga, bakit nagkwento na naman siya tungkol samin no?"

"Secret sir." Then, they leave a blank smile as they go on with their pre-quiz activities.

One thing I've noticed these days is that I deliver myself more confidently in front of her class than I used to be a year ago. Perhaps, I've finally adjusted to the situation being their substitute prof. But I know, I'll only be good at administering exams or listening to the students giving reports. After all, my mom's subject is not my forte so I cannot discuss the subject with them.

But you know what, whenever I see myself in that situation, I cannot help but remember james or sonny doing the same thing. It's like I've being transported instantly in their shoes and deliver my thing, as they do whenever they are in the class with those bratty high school kids.

And I can't help but see myself in one of the students in front of me. Lam mo yun, the blissful, carefree kids we used to be.

James was right. I miss being in one of those chairs. I miss being a student, and all its perks and freedoms. Lately, I've been dreaming and remembering a lot of my classmates.

I miss being the lousy and political class president I was. I miss Angelo and the boys calling me nasty names and make stupid remarks as I deliver my message in front of the class. I miss being the "teacher's pet" whenever I negotiate my grades that are on the brink of failing. I miss SDP, PGC, AB and all the wacky and glamorous world it has.

Whenever my mom ask me to be her substitute for the day, being there standing in front of her class brings back bittersweet memories of a time when everything was just simple to me.

No comments: